- Spark Cycling (Sapporo City) – These guys should be your first-stop when looking for a bike for touring in Hokkaido. They offer service in English, their bikes are super good value, and have racks, panniers…everything you need for cycle tour | Link | Location
- Nakamura Cycles (Sapporo City) – Also good value bicycle hire in Hokkaido. But booking is in Japanese only. Bikes must be booked at least a week in advance | Link (Japanese only) | Location
- Rhythm Cycles (Niseko) – Link | Location
- Groove Cycles (Niseko) – Link | Location | Recommended cycle routes | Note: Groove Cycles works in conjunction with Rhythm Cycles, apparently.
- The Bicycle Corner (Niseko) – Link
- Cycle Japan (Furano) – If you’re after a road bike, then these guys should be able to help | Link
For bicycle hire in Hokkaido, you’ll generally pay around 5,000yen a day for a bike suited to cycle touring (prices per day are cheaper the longer you rent for). It is best to bring your own panniers, as cost for renting those will be over and above the rental cost for the bike. Carriers for your gear will also likely be extra too, so consider bringing a bikepacking setup that you can strap to a standard bike, in order to keep costs down. Here, we list a few options we've heard about over the years for hiring cycle-touring specific bikes in Hokkaido. Regardless of who you hire from, it is always best to try to book in advance. The Niseko-based providers are located in Niseko Town, accessible by bus from New Chitose Airport (approx. 2.5hrs) or Sapporo by train or bus (about 2.5hrs).
Last updated May 7, 2019