- Spark Cycling (Sapporo City) – These guys should be your first-stop when looking for a bike for touring in Hokkaido, if leaving from Sapporo. They offer service in English, their bikes are super good value, and have racks, panniers…everything you need for cycle tour | Link | Location
- Cycle Garage PAZ – Located in Kushiro in eastern Hokkaido, PAZ has a selection of hybrid, road, mountain bikes, and e-bikes, along with full framebag rental also. Expect to pay around 2,500yen per day for an extended rental. Very highly recommended – they have English support, and Kushiro is accessible by air from Tokyo. An excellent way to insert yourself right into one of Hokkaido’s wildest and most pristine areas. LINK | LOCATION
- Nakamura Cycles (Sapporo City) – Also good value bicycle hire in Hokkaido. But booking is in Japanese only. Bikes must be booked at least a week in advance | Link (Japanese only) | Location
- Rhythm Cycles (Niseko) – Link | Location
- Groove Cycles (Niseko) – Link | Location | Recommended cycle routes | Note: Groove Cycles works in conjunction with Rhythm Cycles, apparently.
- The Bicycle Corner (Niseko) – Link
- Cycle Japan (Furano) – If you’re after a road bike, then these guys should be able to help | Link
For bicycle hire in Hokkaido, you’ll generally pay around 5,000yen a day for a bike suited to cycle touring (prices per day are cheaper the longer you rent for). It is best to bring your own panniers, as cost for renting those will be over and above the rental cost for the bike. Carriers for your gear will also likely be extra too, so consider bringing a bikepacking setup that you can strap to a standard bike, in order to keep costs down. Here, we list a few options we've heard about over the years for hiring cycle-touring specific bikes in Hokkaido. Regardless of who you hire from, it is always best to try to book in advance. The Niseko-based providers are located in Niseko Town, accessible by bus from New Chitose Airport (approx. 2.5hrs) or Sapporo by train or bus (about 2.5hrs).
Last updated Jul 20, 2019